Sunday, November 4, 2012

Mexican Lime Soup with Chicken

O my goodness, if you want a tasty, belly filling soup this is the one! I found it on the Williams-Sonoma website of all places. It did not call to be made in a crock pot, but I did anyway and had amazing results! I just tossed it all in and cooked it on LOW for 8 hours or so. SO GOOD!


Unfortunately, the picture doesn't do it justice because we ate almost all the soup before I remembered to take a picture :(

Mexican Lime Soup with Chicken

  • 3 Limes
  • 2 Chicken breasts (or tenders), about 10 oz. each
  • 1 t. Salt
  • 1/2 t. Ground pepper
  • 1 T. Extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 large onion, I used yellow, chopped
  • 5 Garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 JalapeƱo chilis, seeded and minced
  • 3 c. Low-sodium chicken broth  
  • 3 c. Water
  • 1 1/2 t. Oregano, the original called for Mexican oregano, but I couldn't find any.
  • 1 Avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
  • 2 oz. Queso fresco or feta cheese, crumbled. the fresco was a lot more expensive, so I used feta.
Cut one lime into wedges to use as a garnish for later. Juice the other 2 to get 1/4 c. of lime juice. Mix all ingredients in the crock pot, minus the avocado and cheese, those are used as garnishes. Cook on LOW for 8 hours. Remove chicken from crock pot and shred or use two forks to shred in the crock pot. Serve with the lime wedges, avocado, and cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment