Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Epitome of Fall: Apple Butter

Two weeks ago I had the privilege of making something that I always had wanted to make, apple butter. I had to research what recipe I wanted to use and finally settle on this one:  http://www.mybakingaddiction.com/crock-pot-slow-cooker-apple-butter-recipe/

I followed it to a T (where did that saying come from?) and it turned out great! It was an all day ordeal, taking about 12 hours total, plus cooling time so I could put it into plastic containers. I considered canning, but I have never done it before so I decided people could freeze it if they didn't eat it in 2 weeks. It made 4 pints which I split into little half pints. People may be getting them as Christmas gifts this year (canned and all!) I was even told by Joey's mom that I sell it :) 

First some pictures of my creation!

The many, many apples it took.

All of the apples peeled. It took a good while because I am not fortunate enough to have an apple peeler corer slicer.

The apples with all the tasty goodness on them.

About half way done cooking.

The finished product!

















Apple Butter
  • 6 1/2 lbs Apples - peeled, cored, and sliced (I used Gala)
  • 1 c. Granulated sugar
  • 1 c. Brown sugar, lightly packed
  • 1 T. Ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 t. Nutmeg
  • 1/4 t. Ground cloves
  • 1/4 t. Salt
  • 1 T. Vanilla extract 
Place the apples in a slow cooker. In a medium bowl, combine sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg cloves and salt. Pour the mixture over the apples and mix well. Cook in slow cooker on low for about 10 hours, stirring every two hours, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown. Uncover, stir in vanilla, and continue cooking uncovered on low for about 2 hours. Use an immersion blender (or electric mixer worked) to puree the apple butter until it achieves your desired consistency. Let cool and can or place in containers, cover, and refrigerate for up to two weeks or freeze. Makes 4 pints.

No comments:

Post a Comment